Saturday, January 4, 2014

A view of my (very pink, very Disney) room.

My room looks like a five year old girl lives in it. But it's totally me and I really dig it, though it's on the small side and oh, right- it's in my parents house. Since I'm basically a nomad, I don't stay with my parents as often and honestly it just gives me the longing to stay at home for as long as possible. I tell my dad I'm gonna get married and still live here, lol.

Anyway, unlike other kids I knew when growing up, I didn't get a cool decorated room with any painted walls or themed sheets or anything. My room was stark white my whole life and super boring. So when I was about 19 years old and in college, I spent Spring Break redecorating my room. All I knew is that I wanted pink EVERYWHERE.

I got it. My room is so pink now that pink reflects off of everything in it. If you take pictures in this room, you get a distinct pink tint. You'll see what I mean in a minute.

Since it's two days till Disney and I'm mostly packed, I'm bored and out of blogging material. So alas, here is a view of my room.

The coolest view, because of that Ariel drawing alone.
So walk in and look to the left and you see the decorations on my wall above my television set. Notable: Wall decal, which I got 50 percent off at Hobby Lobby. And of course, the first thing everybody notices, the Ariel drawing.

I didn't do this. I could only wish I could be that talented. The drawing was done by my old best friend from high school. I actually had it rolled up for a long time before I finally bought a frame for it and put it up.

And to the right is my calendar, which I could not live without.

Take note of the tiny Mickey heads representing the Disney trip!
A Disney princess wall calendar, of course! I actually received this as a birthday present from a fellow cast member, and it is replacing my old wall calendar which was HUGE!!!! I needed a calendar that big in college because I would write all of my due dates and work schedule, etc. Those things take up a lot of room on a small square!

I'm gonna try using the small calendar because with student teaching, I don't think I'll have notes that are quite as extensive- and if I do, I still have my weekly planner that I carry with me. I might end up getting a large wall calendar again anyway just because I'm so used to having all the room to write!

Ramen and coke are recurring decorations on my night stand...
Aside from being obsessed with Disney and with pink, I also really love giraffes. On my night stand is a tiny giraffe I purchased at the San Diego Zoo. He hangs off of my lamp like a koala.

The giraffe sketch above my lamp is a sentimental piece- or rather, the frame is. When I was in middle school, I was a fan of drawing Japanese-style comic book chracters. My grandma asked me to draw a picture for her, so I did, and she framed it and hung it in her house. When my grandma passed away when I was 18, I took the frame and photo from her house.

However, I felt weird about displaying the art inside because it's kind of an embarrassing piece now, you know? So instead I drew a picture of a giraffe randomly and put that picture in front of the one I drew my grandma. It makes me feel better, because in a way, I still have that art and my grandma's frame hanging in my room, just with a slightly more acceptable piece inside. It says "hello giraffe" on it. I think it's cute.

My sheets are usually pink but my aunt will be staying in my bedroom so my mom wanted her to have "new" sheets during her visit instead.
This is where I usually am. Sitting in bed while on my laptop. Rascal is in his usual spot, too. Little sucker.

Random Homecoming mum hanging off of my curtain. I don't have the heart to put it away even though I've been graduated from high school for almost four years.

The bookshelf with awkward-sized spaces!
The top shelf is my Disney movie collection. It's small but that's because I started from scratch. My parents didn't keep any of my kiddie movies and I didn't start collecting until I started working for the Company and became familiar with the Disney vault system. I don't want to collect every single Disney movie, just my favorites.

A few college textbooks go on the second shelf, obscured by a Mickey Mouse painting my best friend painted for me. She even has a little hidden Mickey in the black part!

I have two giraffes on this bookcase, can you find them?

I AM OBSESSED!!!!!
On to my next obsession... Bath and Body Works! This little basket was given to me by Tristan for Valentine's Day, and it's adorable. Luckily, it's also huge so it holds my crazy in one place.

This basket is 95 percent Bath and Body Works. My favorites currently are Winter Candy Apple, Vanilla Bean Noel and Beautiful Day. I usually try to have a new signature scent every season, but those are my go-to favorites. I also have a crap load of Bath and Body Works shower gels, but that's stored in another room.

Wow, I have a lot of obsessions.
Nail polish. I think in a single year I went from owning about eight nail polishes to like, forty. This year I got really invested in doing my nails and doing simple nail art. My mom says I have enough polishes to open a salon, but I don't think I have much compared to some.

My favorite brand is Wet n Wild Megalast. I love their big, wide brush and only wish for more colors to come out!

And now all my Disney things get crammed into one area.
Couple of notable things: Light-up glass Mickey Mouse figurine that my mom bought me "just because." Tinkerbell and Cinderella Castle photo holder that displays a picture of my sister and I on the PeopleMover back in the day. Tristan's vinylmation he hasn't picked up yet. Day of the Dead Jack and Sally figurines I got at ComicCon. Glut Vinylmation from Little Mermaid series.

PRINCESSES!!!!!!!
Little Mermaid musical figurine that plays "Under the Sea" from Disney world. Designer Belle mug from the Disney Store circa 2011. Beauty and Belle pop vinyls, a Christmas present from my brother. Belle musical figurine from the Disney Store circa 2010. Gaston vinyl from Beauty and the Beast series. Japanese "it's a small world" Animator doll. Original Belle animator doll. Hallmark's 101 Dalmations snowglobe. Art of Ariel mug from the Disney Store circa 2013. Designer villain Cruella deVil from Disney Store circa 2012.

Those teacups are actually shot glasses. Classy shot glasses.
On top of my bureau is a temporary set-up. My mom made me put all of my plush away since my aunt is coming to visit (maybe stuffed animals freak her out? I dunno.) so for the time being I have this blue parasol that my grandmother bought me, a Cinderella carriage mug with art by Mary Blair from the Disney Store circa 2012, "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" wall hanging given to me as a birthday present from my sister (from an Etsy shop) and of course my cute little teacup shot glasses.

Usually on this surface is my Duffy display, with Duffy backdrop, giant white teddy bear, large core Duffy, medium core Duffy, medium core Shellie May (my holy grail of sorts) and mini-beanie Duffy bear.

My other plush usually hangs out on top of my mirror but those have been banished too. Those include limited edition Genie, marshmallow-scented Mickey Mouse dressed up as a yellow bunny, Pikachu in Mickey ears, a pink sock monkey and yet another giraffe. :)

Wow, that was a lot of typing. I just happen to have a lot of free time while I'm sitting around awaiting the trip. Soon enough...

Back to creating the itinerary! Thanks for reading!

-Mari

0 comments:

Post a Comment