Friday, January 3, 2014

Welcome to 2014!

2014 is finally here! I'm not sure if I'm more excited for Disney or more scared of the new year ahead of me. If it were any other year, I'd probably be fine but 2014 is a BIG year. I've got a semester of student teaching ahead of me, followed by testing for my certification, followed by graduating college and looking into getting my first teaching job (and hopefully, actually teaching in my own classroom!) It's a lot of change looking to happen in just one year. I'm really anxious about it.

But for the time being, something more exciting is on the horizon... DISNEY!!! Starting the year off with a Disney vacation is only the best way to start any year!

The last picture of 2013.
We spent the New Year at Tristan's aunt house with his cousins. My family doesn't do fireworks because they're technically illegal. It's too dry here so there's a ban on fireworks within city limits. As a result, I'm scared of them and the dangers they pose lol. Tristan's family is too bad to listen to any laws (and his uncle is a cop so what the hell) so they go big with the fireworks. Here is me experimenting with a sparkler, which is as far as I'm willing to go with any type of firework. I'm a pansy like that. I do like sparklers though they scare me a bit.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
We kicked off 2014 with a little adventure of our own. Walking out of his aunt's house and ready to come home, we opened the front door and there was a little kitty. Tristan's uncle sneered at it and said it had been hanging around for a few days and he was sick of it. So I did what any normal person would do and plucked it off the street and brought it home.

He was a really, really cute and really sweet brown tabby around five months old. I love cats (and animals of any kind, really) so he would have been mine if I had the time, resources, space and money to keep him. Not to mention he had an eye infection so he really needed to be treated. Since all the shelters were closed on New Years, I had to wait until January 2nd to turn him in, which I did resentfully. I really loved that little kitty for the 24 hours he was mine.

We named him Meeko Mousekawitz. He enjoyed lounging in sinks and playing with shoes.

I hope he gets the treatment he needed and I really hope someone loving adopts him. I've been watching him on the adoption page in the hopes that I'll know when someone chooses him... just to give me peace, I suppose. The agency didn't even use a cute picture of him. Boo!

Did you know you can foster kitties? I might do that in retirement. Tristan and I already agreed that we won't get any pets, but it's hard to resist KITTIES!

Back to 2014. I have some pretty simple resolutions for the year...

2014 resolutions.
  • Graduate.
  • Pass certification tests.
  • Get a teaching job.
  • Start looking into finding an apartment at the end of the year.

Anyway, we are FOUR days away from our trip. We are driving up to Austin on Monday, where we will a) leave our car and b) stay with friends overnight. These friends will take us to the airport bright and early the next morning. It's about $100 cheaper to fly out of Austin than it is San Antonio so thank god for that.

The weather in Orlando also looks good right now with the exception of the day we fly in. Hopefully it just gets hotter. And hopefully there's not a lot of rain, which is in the forecast currently... And hopefully our stop in Atlanta doesn't give us any trouble as it is COLD there right now (well, cold for me. Sigh.)

-Mari


0 comments:

Post a Comment